Thursday, May 18, 2017

Egypt: Amazing Alexandria

Much like the pyramids being a "must do" if visiting Egypt, I strongly feel that a visit to the city of Alexandria is also one of these "dos".

Some pretty flowers in our lobby

Ahmad spoiling us with breakfast stand delights: Pitas stuff with falafel or potato or bean, plus awesome coffee!

The ornate side of a fountain

Our first stop was to explore some "accidentally discovered" ancient catacombs. No photography was allowed, but was AWESOME! Check out the Catacombs of Kom El Shoqafa here.


Pompeii's Pillar

Pompeii's Pillar

Pompeii's Pillar

Pompeii's Pillar

Pompeii's Pillar

Pompeii's Pillar

Pompeii's Pillar

Roman Amphitheater

Roman Amphitheater

Roman Amphitheater

Roman Amphitheater

Roman Amphitheater

Roman Amphitheater

Alexandria Citadel

Alexandria Citadel

Alexandria Citadel

Alexandria Citadel

Alexandria Citadel

Alexandria Citadel

Alexandria Citadel

Alexandria Citadel

And finally, came lunch with an INCREDIBLE view!

Alexandria Harbor

We watched the seafood be carried into the restaurant from the boats, and many of the seafood on display (which you went up and picked from) were still moving!


Extra large prawns


Our final stop in the city, to my heart's pure delight, was the Alexandria Library.
I love books.
I LOVE BOOKS.
I am obsessed with books.
I love reading, I love learning, thus I love everything that a library represents.
I was TOO excited for this stop. You could actually tell that Adam was nervous to come here, knowing how difficult of a feat it would be to actually get me out of the building once we were in. And I won't lie, it was hard, for him and our guide, and we were late in leaving.

It is an awesome place, and a "must see". It is a current and functioning library, but they have an ancient text museum inside, as well as art, and ancient print machines....I could have spent DAYS gawking a things here.

Alexandria Library

Alexandria Library

Alexandria Library

Alexandria Library